One of my biggest requirements from our new home is some where I can have my own space, somewhere I can organise myself and work, this being, my desk. When we originally viewed the property I took measurements and visualised how we would layout the living area as this is where I would be working from, and I found the perfect spot right on the back wall looking out into the garden. Then I needed some desk inspiration, to work out exactly what I wanted and how it would look.
I spend a lot of time at the computer, editing shoots, networking, advertising, emails, printing, oh and eBay, lots of eBay! So as you can imagine its going to be my second home so it’s got to work for me. Here’s what I need from a desk space:
- Big surface area- it’s gonna have a lot of stuff on top like an A3 printer, 27″ imac, hard drives, lighting plus room to one side to lay out prints, albums and space to make our wedding gift boxes.
- Lots of storage – with the big open plan space, storing things our of sight is going to be a must, I hate clutter, and I hate not being organised.
- Match the current decor – no ugly desks here, wood or white or black.
- Affordable – it may be the perfect desk but it’s got to be realistic price wise.
- Strong – with a 25kg printer to support, skinny ikea legs are not going to cut it.
I’m not shy of a bit of DIY and if I’m stuck, my dad is a dab hand. With some searching, I found a few design ideas that look stylish, fit with the colour scheme (white, black and wood, not difficult) and are functional.
I found a few images to help give me some desk inspiration ideas. Two Desks really stand out here for me, the top left and bottom right. I got these by tapping “iMac desk” into google images. A little pretentious maybe but macs are generally owned by people who use them for creative design, and thus have creative and practical workspaces. I love the idea of a big open workspace that these desks show. I would like a space to get my legs underneath, i think i would go numb if i tucked my legs up for hours on end 😛 so, now to find a desk or components to make a desk, like that of the bottom right image.
The Search is on!
(Image Source 1,2,3,4 unknown)