I was lucky enough to stumble across the work of Jian Chen (and Jian herself) at the Craft Folk Market that was held down in Cardiff Bay a few weeks ago. I instantly fell in love with her colourful female portraits, and her unusual way of painting. The picture above is the first that caught my eye, and I simply had to have it (after checking with Jon that he liked it also) to go above our bed in our new home – I can already visualise it in a nice simple white mount and frame). I also got to have a little chat with Jian herself and thought she was the perfect person to feature on the blog, I just love finding new creative people to share with you all.
Luckily Jian was happy to answer a few questions for me, so here are her answers so we can all get to know her and her work a little better.
1. What’s your name and where are you from/based? My Chinese name is Jian Chen, English name Jenny, I’m based in Cardiff, UK
2. When did you launch your company? Formally started ‘Jian Chen’s FINE ART’ in March 2014
3. Do you have any formal training/eductaion in your craft? I studied oil painting at ‘Sichuan Fine Arts University’, china
4. What is your favourite of your paintings? I like all of them, each piece is unique
5. What stores (etsy or otherwise!) do you love? Etsy has so many great stores I couldn’t chose a favourite
6. Your items are all very colourful, but what is your personal style like? All my paintings are my personal styles
7. Where do you draw inspiration from, for your work and your general style? Inspiration and ideas came through when I quiet my mind and ignore the surroundings
8. Tell us a random fact about you, we might not already know? I quit smoking since 2010, and don’t drink (social drinking occasionally a glass or two), I never store wine at home
It’s Party Time!
Ok lets plan the perfect imaginary party
- Where would you hold it? In a nice hotel or resort
- What theme would it have? Fairy-tale
- Who would you invite (dead or alive, famous or otherwise)? I would invite people I feel good about; don’t mind dead or alive, fame is irrelevant
- What music would you listen to? All sorts music apart from rock & roll
- And what would you eat and drink? Ideally fish, vegs and fruits, soft drinks, Jasmine green tea and spring water
- Cat or dog? Both
- Tea or coffee? Tea
- Travel bug or home bird? Like going different places but don’t like being on any transport for more than half an hour, I get bored easily
- Sweet or savoury? Savoury
- Summer or winter? Summer
- Half full or half empty? Half full
- Snail mail or email? Email
- Blogs or magazines? Blogs
- Dresses or trousers? Both
- Silver or gold? Both
I am literally in love with so many of Jian’s pieces I could have an entire wall full of them, but for now I am hoping to settle with 3 as I can see a set working best together above our bed. Hopefully when we finally move I will be able to get my hands on prints of the other 2 as well. Jian’s prices are very reasonable if you are looking to decorate a new home or add something fun to an existing rooms decor, with her small prints starting at just £7, larger ones at £25 and you can even get custom originals for around £200.
What do you guys think? Is this the kind of work you would display in your home?