My appetite has been a bit all over the place with the pregnancy, some days I barely feel like eating at all then other days I just seem to want to snack all day long, or eat at weird times of the day! But the one thing I am trying to do is make sure I get lots of healthy fruit and veg into me, luckily Im not really craving anything specific at all and I really like most vegetables.
Last week I picked up a pack of large flat mushrooms and after having one of my ‘not hungry’ days I started feeling peckish at 9pm, so looking in the fridge I decided to whip up a quick mushroom risotto (although risotto is never quick!) I surprised myself with how well it turned out as I haven’t made risotto without a recipe before, so this was a first.
Plus whats even better is that I realised its Slimming World friendly and completely syn free if you use the parmesan as your healthy extra! (its 5-6 syns per portion otherwise depending on the brand of parmesan used). Serve it with a big portion of free and super free veggies to make it an extra healthy dish!
So here is how I made it
- 2 large flat mushrooms (peeled and sliced)
- 150g Risotto Rice
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and diced)
- 1 large onion (peeled and diced)
- 1.5 pints of stock (although I often end up adding a few extra 100ml of boiling water if rice isn’t quite cooked enough for my taste!)
- 60g grated parmesan (make sure its the one you can use for your Healthy Extra if you want this syn free!)
- Fry Light
- In a deep pan heat a few squirts of fry-light over a medium to high heat. Once heated add the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes. Don’t let it brown too much.
- Add the mushrooms and cook till they have softened
- Next add the rice. It is very important not to leave the pan unattended at this point and to continuously stir the rice so it starts to absorb all the flavours but doesn’t brown. It should begin to look translucent after 2-3 minutes
- Start adding the stock, around 200ml’s at a time. Turn the heat down to a simmer so the liquid has time to be absorbed and doesn’t boil off, stirring frequently so the rice doesn’t catch.
- As each portion of liquid is absorbed add another portion until it is all gone. Hopefully you rice is perfectly cooked at this point (if it is still a little too al-dente for your taste then add 200mls of boiling water or more stock until you are happy)
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in half the parmesan (plus salt and pepper to taste if you want)
- Plate up the risotto and top with a sprinkling of the remaining parmesan and serve with a good portion of veggies!
- You could easily add chicken to this if you cook it alongside the mushrooms and it’ll still be syn free!
So there you have my slimming world friendly mushroom risotto recipe, its super easy to make (if a little time consuming) really healthy and really filling, which is something you need when dieting (or pregnant!) If your looking for more Slimming World Recipes I have a great selection of syn free slimming world recipes.
You could just as easily turn this into a chicken risotto or try a different vegetable instead! Red pepper, butternut squash, pea and asparagus they would all taste great and keep it syn free and healthy!