Sometimes my sweet tooth is so difficult to curb, and sadly an Alpen bar or Hi-fi bar just won’t cut it! So I went on the hunt for tasty low-syn treats as an alternative to a nice syn-heavy slice of cake! I found a few recipes for low-stn treats that looked interesting so had a play about and finally settled on this little baby. Introducing my 1.5syn Banana and Chocolate Chip muffins (or mini muffins I suppose).
These little muffins are super easy to make, so perfect as a breakfast treat (alongside your super speedy fruit!) or would be great for a mid morning coffee and cake snack especially if you’ve got guests coming! Or because they are small you can pop 1 or 2 in your lunch box to take to work for low-syn treats or dessert after lunch. Elian has also been enjoying these for breakfast too, so they double up as baby led weaning breakfast ideas too. At least if the kids enjoy them you won’t be tempted to munch your way through all 18 of them!
Don’t forget to check out my Weight-loss Wednesday videos on YouTube to see how my weight loss is going and see what we have been up to slimming world wise for that week
- 50g Self Raising Flour (we used Tesco own for 8 syns)
- 200g Banana (Mashed – 8 syns when cooked)
- 4 medium eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1tsp Baking Powder (0.5 syns)
- 2tbsp Sweetner (We use Natvia http://amzn.to/2oJKEU9)
- 25g Chocolate Chips
- 12 Cup Muffin Tray
- Paper Muffin Cases
- Preheat oven to 180 C, 400F, Gas Mark 6
- Mix together the flour, sweetner, baking powder, 2 whole eggs and the yolks from the other 2 eggs (reserve the egg whites) until they are well combined
- Add the mashed banana and vanilla extract and mix well until combined
- Whip the remaining egg whites until they form stiff peaks, this may take a while but make sure they are well whipped or your muffins will be very flat
- Once peaks hold themselves, add the egg whites to the banana mixture and gently fold them in until they are combined
- Pop the paper muffin cases into your tray and spoon the mixture into your cups to just over half way. You will have some left over to make the last 6 after the first batch has cooked
- Pop a few chocolate chips on top of each cake (I popped mine in the mix and they sunk so placing them on to will be better)
- Place the try in the middle of your over for 12-15 mins until golden brown, remove and place on a wire rack to cool
- Repeat with the remaining mixture for the final 6 muffins
- Let them cool (if you can resist eating them) and enjoy!
I’ve got loads more awesome Slimming World recipes on the blog so find them all here.
What are your favourite low-syn treats? Got an awesome recipe you’d love to share? Please get in touch
If you love it, don’t forget to pin it!!